Driveway damaged by neighbours' builders - help!

My driveway has been damaged by a builder as a result of work being done on my neighbours' property. After two months of waiting for a resolution, I have been offered what sounds like a cheap repair job on the worst damage, and told that some of the other damage is "not worth bothering about". I have been patient but I think this is totally unacceptable! I want the builder to pay for repairs to be done by another contractor as I no longer trust him or his mate who he has suggested to do the repairs - however he keeps refusing to give us his insurance details. The neighbours are no help at all and say we are being unreasonable. What can I do?

8 Answers

Hi, would contact the small claims court and trading standards. Totally unacceptable behavior and service
10th Apr 2024
Helpful Answer? Vote Up thumb up + 29
Post your job & get responses from local driveway pavers. Read reviews before you decide to hire.
I'm looking for ...
Quka Projects
3 Reviews, 100% Positive
this is something that you need to sort out with neighbours and if they are not willing to resolve the problem with you then contact the council government
16th Apr 2024
Helpful Answer? Vote Up thumb up + 26
Purtills ltd
7 Reviews, 100% Positive
When a builder causes damage to your property, you have legal rights and options to seek compensation for the repairs. Here are steps you can take to address the situation:

1. Document the Damage: Before any repairs are made, ensure you thoroughly document all the damage caused by the builder. Take photographs from multiple angles, gather any relevant paperwork or correspondence related to the incident, and keep a record of all conversations with the builder and your neighbors.

2. Request Insurance Information: The builder is obligated to provide you with their insurance details if they have caused damage to your property. Insist on receiving this information as it is essential for filing a claim for the repairs.

3. Seek Legal Advice: If the builder refuses to provide their insurance details or fails to cooperate in resolving the issue, consider seeking legal advice. A lawyer specializing in property damage claims can help you understand your rights and options for pursuing compensation.

4. Obtain Repair Quotes: Get quotes from reputable contractors for the repair work needed on your driveway. This will help establish the true cost of restoring your property to its original condition.

5. Send a Formal Demand Letter: If direct communication with the builder has been unproductive, consider sending a formal demand letter outlining the damages, repair costs, and a deadline for response. This letter should clearly state your intention to pursue legal action if necessary.

6. Consider Mediation: In some cases, mediation can be a more cost-effective and efficient way to resolve disputes without going to court. A neutral third party can help facilitate discussions between you, the builder, and possibly your neighbors to reach a mutually acceptable resolution.

7. File a Lawsuit: As a last resort, if all attempts at resolving the issue amicably have failed, you may need to file a lawsuit against the builder for damages. Your lawyer can guide you through this process and represent your interests in court.

8. Review Local Laws: Familiarize yourself with local laws and regulations regarding property damage caused by construction activities. These laws may outline specific responsibilities of builders and property owners in such situations.

9. Maintain Records: Throughout this process, it is crucial to keep detailed records of all communications, expenses incurred due to the damage, repair receipts, legal documents, and any other relevant information.

10. Stay Persistent: Dealing with property damage disputes can be frustrating and time-consuming. Stay persistent in pursuing a resolution that adequately compensates you for the damages caused by the builder’s actions.
15th Apr 2024
Helpful Answer? Vote Up thumb up + 24
Triple three
6 Reviews, 100% Positive
Keep asking for his insurance details,it is for situations like this happening to get it sorted
12th Apr 2024
Helpful Answer? Vote Up thumb up + 20
RCF Installer Ltd
0 Reviews
I understand your frustration, and it’s essential to address this situation properly. Here are some steps you can take:

Get It in Writing:
Request the builder’s insurance details in writing. Explain that you need this information to file a claim with your own insurance company. If they still refuse, inform them that failing to provide this information can have legal consequences.

Contact Trading Standards:
Reach out to your local Trading Standards office. They can advise you on the best course of action and may be able to mediate between you and the builder.
You can also lodge a complaint with Trading Standards, as this behavior is unacceptable and gives good tradesmen a bad name.

Consult a Solicitor:
Consider getting legal advice. A solicitor can help you draft a formal letter requesting the insurance details and outlining your concerns.
If the builder continues to refuse, your solicitor can guide you on further legal steps.

Approach the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS):
If the builder’s insurance company is uncooperative, you can escalate the matter to the FOS. They handle disputes between consumers and financial service providers, including insurance companies.

Document Everything:
Keep records of all communication with the builder, including dates, times, and details of conversations.

Take photos of the damage and any repair work done (or not done).
Remember that you have rights as a consumer, and it’s essential to pursue a fair resolution. Don’t hesitate to seek professional advice if needed. Good luck!
8th May 2024
Helpful Answer? Vote Up thumb up + 19
2 Reviews, 100% Positive
If your property has been damaged by another contractor u need to call trading association or contact the police to make complaint for property damage
23rd Apr 2024
Helpful Answer? Vote Up thumb up + 18
Sound like you dealing with a cowboy builder!
My advise would be to get a surveyor to take a look and charge the cost back to the builder
13th May 2024
Helpful Answer? Vote Up thumb up + 12
Prestigious Maintenance
1 Reviews, 100% Positive
Send a written complaint. This will make them aware that you know your rights and are willing to take legal action if necessary. Collect any evidence that can help to prove they're liable, such as photos, dates and correspondence. Find out whether they're in a trade association that has a dispute resolution scheme.

If still failing to do so, trading standards may be the next step, they’ll look into the company that’s in question, and they’ll get everything you need, if they’re still noncompliant, your in your legal right to get another tradesmen to take a look and quote you on this, you can then forward this quotation to the company in question, if still nothing you can then get a new company in to complete the job, you can then take the original builders/contractor to a small claims court to which you’ll be compensated the costs of the works carried out.

Regardless of what your neighbours and the builders are saying, your property should be left the way it has been, by all means mistakes/accidents happen, any professional would rectify any problems they’ve caused,

I hope this helps, and hope you get the issue sorted promptly,

Kind regards,

Prestigious Maintenance.
14th May 2024
Helpful Answer? Vote Up thumb up + 12
Post your job & get responses from local driveway pavers. Read reviews before you decide to hire.

I'm looking for ...

How it Works

Read reviews before you decide to hire.
See how it works