Water started leaking from the pull cord switch for bathroom lights and the lights started flickering even when turned off. Turns out upstairs neighbour had a leak in their bathroom that caused it. Turned the power to the lights in the flat off for 24 hours, tried turning them on again but the bathroom lights still flicker when switched off. What is the best thing to do in this situation?
Immediately turn off the power supply to your home at the mains and call out a qualified electrician.
Post your job & get responses from
Read reviews before you decide to hire.
Make sure the leak has been resolved. Light will not work correctly if wet and will be dangerous because water conducts electricity. Everything need to be dry and possibly changed if damaged.
A good idea would be to have a qualified electrician carry out and inspection of your lighting circuit. It’s possible there may be some water causing problems. Or that the initial flood caused the circuit connections to become loose. This would cause a flicker as your describing. A loose connection can cause arching or overheating so even if it works right now it’s really advisable that you get that situation resolved before it leads to something more difficult to resolve. Best of luck and hope you get it sorted soon.
Kind regards Desap Electrical
Best plan is to call an electrician who will remove the pull cord and light fitting to remove the water that is trapped in the fitting.
In this situation testing of electrical installation will be required. Prior to that I would recommend physical check of the wiring by taking the ceiling off in your bathroom. It is very dangerous situation you are in as due to water damaged at least the cord switch contact is faulty which cause short circuit - that is why the light is flickering. It might even cause a fire. I would recommend to take the ceiling off or at least cut inspection hole and check the wiring for physical condition, replace faulty cord switch and complete condition test for the installation and finally repair the ceiling. The bathroom light might need to be replaced as well.
Due to water in the light fitting as well as pull cord I would advise replacing the light fitting to an ip65 rated fitting, also replace pull cord and make sure that the entry to the pullcord is protected from future water leaks. The light is flickering as potential arc this can be dangerous due to arcs can cause fire if left unchecked
Replacement pull cord and light fitting if showing signs of water damage